INDORAMAL.COM/EN - INTP is one of 16 personality types developed by Katharine Cook Briggs and Isabel Briggs Myers in the first part of the twentieth century. It is important to mention that their goal is to identify 16 healthy personality types, therefore no personality type is considered inferior to the others.
Returning to the work of Myers-Briggs: Each type of personality has unique gifts and tendencies that serve important roles in society; each special personality in its way. People with the personality type INTP, who are the subject of this article, number less than 5 percent of the general population with several sources citing even lower numbers. Although it is not practical to try to find exact numbers, no one would argue that INTP is rare. Are you an independent and genuine INTP? You can take this scientifically validated test to find out.
The meaning of INTP
INTP stands for "introverted" (I), "intuitive" (N), thinking (T), perceived (P). Introversion is a preference for focusing internally and spending most of your time alone in a quiet environment.
Being intuitive means you pay more attention to general concepts, abstract ideas, and interpretations; facts and details are second to you.
Your tendency to use your thinking skills instead of feelings makes you a very rational person who prioritizes logic and reason.
Having an understanding style means you are flexible and spontaneous.
Another name for INTP
Just like the other types, INTP has another name given by Myers-Briggs and those who later expanded his theory. The author of the official appraisal tool Myers-Briggs refers to this type as "Objective Analyst".
David Keirsey in his books "Please Understand Me" and "Please Understand Me II" called this type "The Architect", which is a little confusing because Myers-Briggs uses this nickname for INTJ, another personality type that Keirsey called "The Mastermind". Also, he sometimes uses the word "Engineer" when talking about INTPs.
Linda Berens in her book "The Sixteen Personality Types: Descriptions for Self-Discovery" calls this type "Designer Theoriser". Alan Brownsword, author of "It Takes All Types", called it "Builder of Theories". Jonathan P. Niednagel, the author of the theory of brain typing based on the work of Jung and Myer-Briggs, called this personality type "Creative Logician".
Some online sources make their names for INTP: Logic Experts, Rational Thinkers, Inventory Experts.
INTP is equivalent to the Phlegmatic-Choleric temperament (primary: Phlegmatic, secondary: Choleric) in four temperament models.
How to recognize INTP
People with INTP personality types often seem lost in their intellectual world. Even though they are great at organizing thoughts and concepts, they usually ignore the physical world, which might make it look messy and disorganized.
Just like other introverts, they don't like the superficial and don't bother talking. On the other hand, they like to talk about abstract concepts, science, technology, mathematics, which usually produces technical and complicated speech that cannot be easily understood by others. Another important nature of INTP is that they are more interested in the structure that underlies the things and principles that seem to govern these things rather than the things themselves.
Because INTP's thinking is precise and orderly, the language is also correct. They pick up on inconsistencies in other people's speech very quickly and can be devastating in a debate. Because they believe that one of their main functions is to seek understanding, they will usually show logical weakness, no matter the opponent.
In addition to the debate, INTP often seems ashamed because they prefer to work calmly and alone. Their natural reserves may be difficult to penetrate and, except for a few close friends, INTP is not truly open to anyone and is often underestimated.
INTP Interests, Skills, and Learning Styles
When talking about INTP, the design is the first thing that comes to mind. These people have fantastic spatial skills, and from an early age, they are preoccupied with the concepts of space and orientation. INTP is typically obsessed with technology and will usually choose to study science.
INTP enjoys learning broad theoretical concepts that stimulate their minds; and even though they regularly spend a lot of time studying non-compulsory material, they prefer to study at their own pace with the freedom to choose topics of their interest.
In terms of hobbies, INTP's favorite is
- strategy games such as chess, chess, dominoes, Go ("Go" or "Baduk" is an ancient Chinese game; lately very popular in China, Japan, and Korea), Axis and Allies, Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, Dungeons and Dragons, Civilization, and similar board and video games.
- photo manipulation,
- cultural events such as exhibitions,
Special Things About INTP
People with INTP personality types view the world a little differently from all of us; they see the world as raw material - something they can influence, change, or redesign according to their mental sketches. Masters in organizations, not only INTP people who design physical systems such as machinery, buildings, and bridges, they also excel at building theoretical systems such as companies and curricula.
Although INTP is interested in knowledge, they know how to concentrate on the problem at hand. With this deep and narrow focus, they are often able to achieve a better understanding of whatever they are trying to analyze than the other types.
INTP in Dating, Love, and Relationships
INTP becomes a great and committed partner. Even though they take their relationship very seriously, they may sometimes forget important warnings and promises. When an INTP person chooses to focus on his relationship, he might appear to have a chip relationship on his shoulder - with a true INTP style he will analyze everything about his partner and their relationship.
In general, INTP does not enjoy social activities in their homes and prefers to live in their intellectual world. Their partners must be prepared to arrange and schedule shared social rituals themselves; they may also have to pay courtesy visits to others alone because their INTP partners cannot be bothered with this type of activity.
Another possible conflicting point is that INTP men and women tend to guard their own emotions and may appear insensitive to the feelings of others. Also, when they are completely ignorant about their partner's emotions, they will usually ask for a logical basis for their partner's words and actions; their partners need to realize that demanding reason is INTP's attempt to understand them and not insult their feelings.
INTP Decision-Making Style
When making a decision, INTP carefully evaluates the problem and considers all the available options. Because they tend to see many alternative solutions to the same problem, they may get caught up in analyzing alternatives and delay making decisions until it's too late.
Besides, INTP must be aware that sometimes their decisions affect the lives of others and, because INTP is not good at reading, they may want to ensure that these decisions do not affect anyone negatively.
Another potential problem with INTP decision making is that they tend to get carried away in their thinking and may waste time considering unrealistic choices.
Strength of INTP
- Think independently;
- creative problem solving;
- the ability to see patterns that are not clear to others;
- the ability to see possibilities beyond the obvious;
- very high-performance standards;
- fight for knowledge;
- very clever;
- logical thinking.
Weaknesses of INTP
- Inability to communicate effectively;
- lack of willingness to lead or follow, which can cause problems in the corporate environment;
- might not be practical;
- lack of respect for the opinions of others;
- might be eccentric.
Random Facts About INTP
- People with INTP personality types are usually smart and solution-oriented but can and often procrastinate.
- Even though they have in-depth knowledge of the topic given, they often struggle to explain it to others.
- Although INTP may seem arrogant and aloof, they often feel lonely.
- Even though INTP's personality types generally seek knowledge, they are only interested in certain topics and are easily bored if they are forced to deal with something they don't care about.
- INTP tends to be a little single-minded, nerdy, and socially awkward; their spouse or family must take care of them as they look after children.
- INTP likes to develop complex systems to keep their lives organized, then ignore them altogether.
- Many things that INTP does are only done halfway through because once they know everything there is for a particular project, they lose interest and move on to something else.
- Sometimes INTPs do not do the work they are supposed to do because they are carried away researching something else.
- Someone with an INTP personality type may look very old and very young at the same time - the result of a unique combination of INTP characters that are mature and childish.
- The INTP people feel disconnected from the world around them.
- INTP feels like a scientist and artist together.
- If INTP asks about your feelings, likes your social media posts and comments praise you for being smart, and explains your ideas to you, sure enough, they fall in love with you because all of this is something they usually do. do not do it.
- INTP hates trends and fashions simply because they are popular.
- INTP can be very romantic; unfortunately, this is not clear to their potential partners.
- INTP secretly hopes that they can stick to one thing until they become smart. However, they are bored with their pursuit once they reach an adequate level of mastery.
- INTP has no balance between "obsessed" and "not interested".
- If your INTP partner stops giving opinions and explaining something to you, chances are they will give up on you.
- INTP people enjoy recognition for their work but do not know how to receive praise.
- INTP bought a lot of books but only read a little.
How to get INTP like you
- Learn to respect them for who they are and what they do;
- Give them plenty of personal space;
- Appreciate their sense of humor;
- Talk about subjects they find interesting;
- Don't pressure them to participate in social activities;
- Let them process their emotions and feelings without any pressure;
- Play games that stimulate mentally with them (see INTP interests and hobbies above);
- Read their favorite books, then discuss these books with them;
- Don't scold them for being messy - just accept them as they are;
- Don't scold them for procrastinating - if you want to be with them, feel comfortable with the idea that some of the things they promised you will never come true.
Careers for INTP
INTP's dream work allows them to work on one project at a time and intellectually stimulates them to stay interested. The type of work favored by INTP usually involves the construction of complex systems and long-term planning. To be truly happy at work, INTP wants the freedom to act with little or no supervision and respected colleagues. Because INTP is all about innovation and design, it is developing in high-tech fields with artistic excellence such as animation, graphic design, user interface design, video production/editing, and architecture. Because of its introverted nature, INTP prefers to work alone or with a small group of colleagues it respects.
Job List of INTP
- 3D Movement Designer
- 2D Character Animator
- Aerospace Engineer
- Animation Maker
- Atmospheric Scientist
- The auditor
- Biomedical engineer
- Character Animator
- Character Designer (Animation)
- Chemical Engineer
- Civil Engineering
- College Instructor
- College Professor
- Computer Hardware Engineer
- Computer Network Architect
- Computer programmer
- Professional Computers
- Computer Software Designer
- Computer scientist
- Computer Systems Analyst
- Database Administrator
- Database Manager
- Development Specialist
- Electronic engineer
- Environmental Engineer
- Environmental scientists
- Executive manager
- Financial Analyst
- Forensic Appraisers
- Forensic Psychologist
- Forensic Scientist
- Geological Engineer
- Graphic designer
- Industrial Designer
- Information Security Analyst
- Management consultant
- Market Research Analyst
- Mechanical engineer
- Medical Scientist
- Micro Biology
- Multimedia Artist
- Network Administrator
- Nuclear Engineer
- Plastic Surgery
- Political scientist
- Production Artist
- Product designer
- Regional Planners
- Research Specialist
- Sales Engineer
- Social scientists
- Software developer
- Strategic Planner
- Survey Researcher
- Systems Analyst
- Technical writer
- Top Executive
- UI Designer (User Interface Designer)
- Video editor
- Video Production Specialist
- Video producer
- Web Developers
- Wildlife Biologist
INTP as a Leader
Generally, INTP people do not try to lead, but if they end up in a leadership position, they prefer to focus on giving more direction than anything else. Also, they value individual knowledge and expertise above fancy titles and encourage input, which makes them highly empowering leaders. Because INTP is very independent, they like people who can work independently too. When faced with a particular problem, INTP leaders focus on understanding the underlying causes of the problem and trying to spread this knowledge to other members.
Adjectives to Describe INTP Personality Types
- not emotional,
- messed up,
- not emotional,
- shut up,
- want to know,
INTP Warning Label
Heidi Priebe, author of the book "How You Will Do All Things Based on Your Personality Type", wrote an entertaining post for the "Mind Catalog" where he provided a warning label for each of the 16 personality types. The label for the INTP personality type reads:
It might really examine everything you say and arrest you in an attempt to lie or overdo it.
Famous Person with Personality Type INTP
These famous people may belong to the personality type of INTP:
- Albert Einstein
- Abraham Lincoln
- Blaise Pascal
- Thomas Jefferson
- Milton Friedman
- Sergey Brin
- Larry Page
- Marie Curie
- Robert Rosen
- INTP Characters (Fiction)
The following fictional characters indicate the nature of INTP:
- Master Luwin from Game of Thrones
- Gandalf from The Hobbit
- Rust Cohle from True Detective
- Zhu Li from The Legend of Korra
- Linus van Pelt from Peanuts
- Fliburt from Rocko Modern Life
- Carol from The Walking Dead
Keywords : mbti intp, intp personality, intp nature